I Don't Dance Because I Hate Myself Or Have Low Self-Esteem...

I've asked various people who've worked in the adult/sex industry for a decade or more what made them get into it, why they chose to stick with it, and what their ultimate goals are. For the men in the industry, in this case strip club employees, it's a whole hell of a lot easier; though they have their own set of problems to deal with. For starters... girls!!!! They've got to deal with a bunch of catty bitches, some of whom thrive on drama, and give them a hard time. This shit is mentally draining for EVERYONE, not only girls. We need to be more mindful of that. But that's not what this is about, although I do wonder why some of them put up with so much bullshit, but I've come to find naked women and tits aren't necessarily why they stick around; though it could have been why they started. For the dancers, however, there's got to be an endgame. Which brings me to my actual point...

Why the hell did we "career strippers" stick with dancing? A lot of us have college degrees and are actually very smart. So why do we keep dancing? Because we're smart.. If you're good at what you do and can understand the psychology behind your customer base, and adjust your personality accordingly; then, yes, the job is a piece of cake. Otherwise, it is grueling work at times. 2, 3, sometimes 4 songs on stage. It's literally cardio and exercise, in heels, and under hot ass lights!

It's not about wanting attention or low self-esteem, as the stigma goes. It's because I love dancing. I don't dance for the guys. I don't dance to compete with the other girls. I dance for ME. The money is great, yes. The men swooning.. Eh.. Not gonna lie, after 12 years, that shit gets redundant. No. Most career dancers have said the same thing; they do it for themselves and to be able to work towards their dreams; some while raising families, or working a day job. It's what they love. It's what I love. I just happen to get paid for it. Being European, nudity is not "taboo" or shameful to me. It's normal. Where I grew up women sunbathed in nothing but a thong. People changed clothes in the grass at public pools. You saw naked men and women in TV commercials.

When I learned that there's a job where you get paid to dance naked, I actually didn't believe it at first. I've wanted to dance since I was a teenager, but finally started at age 22. It wasn't scary or awkward; it was liberating. Over the years you find your niche. Some girls are all about pole tricks and others more focused on dancing. I decided that since my title is "entertainer" that I need to be a performer, not a hot girl who takes her clothes off for dollars. I'm a therapist, a fantasy, a "pretend" GF, and at times a proverbial "punching bag".

This job takes a cast iron stomach, folks. It's not "easy money" in the sense that people think. Being cute works for about a month & then it's sink or swim. Being a waitress taught me how to deal with talking to strangers and prepared me for dancing. It takes a hardworking woman, a woman with drive, ambition, and perseverance to make it in this industry. It's not at all glamorous and I wish people would stop stigmatizing it as much as they glamorize it.

If it weren't for dancing I'd never have met some of the people who've saved my life, helped me in some way, and most importantly, I wouldn't have a book to write. Without dancing I would never have known that I want to be a serious writer. It's definitely NOT for everyone; but those of us who've made a career out of it, mostly did so because we have goals, and dancing has allowed us to work toward said goals. I love what I do. It's become a part of me. I will run/own my own club one day. I have an IQ of 157 but happen to be mentally disabled due to mental illness. My career and career path may be unconventional, but it's what I want, and I've never been more sure of anything in my life! I was lost in college and switched majors because it isn't for me. I found my own way and I'm making it to my destination; I just chose the path less taken, and it was right for me. I stumble, I fall, but I always get back up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advice for Baby Strippers; if I Can Do It, Anyone Can.

If You're Still in the Industry- Heed the Advice of Retired SWs- Get Your Shit Together!

Really? Let Me Dumb it Down!