Black Voices In the Sex Industry: Part One- Open Interview

Interview one: Adriana

1) How long have you been in the sex industry and what is your occupation?

 A: I have been a stripper since I was 17. I had  a fake ID and  now I'm 32. Oh wow.. Fifteen years of this and I'm ashamed to admit that I am not doing well in this pandemic. I thought I had my life together. It scared me."

2) Elaborate further if you will. Why did you start stripping so young and still underage? If you don't mind my asking. What about all this is scaring you? Covid aside.

 A: My parents weren't exactly the best so I left home at 16. I did some things I'm not proud of and I still feel shitty about it. For my own safety I got a fake ID so I could strip and not hate myself afterwards. I been to over 25 clubs in different states and they all scamming girls. I'm an hourly employee but they don't even give us tax forms half the time. The white strippers are treated better and get paid on time. He targets us and promoted us but we don't get anything out of it. I never knew I had any rights.

3) Hourly employees have all kinds of guidelines set forth by the DOL and IRS. As an hourly employee you're entitled to breaks, workman's comp. FMLA and myriad other all encompassing employee rights. You never knew? After a few years as an employee? Is this true for every club?

 A: I have never been told anything. None of us had any idea that there's a union. Can you guys help with these problems?

4) You have rights as an employee that your employer is bound by labor laws which ironically mandate that employers are responsible for providing all of this information and union officers are the barrier between your boss and a potential class-action lawsuit. We do, however, demand businesses do not allow harassment or assault. We don't control union employees. We want to help you regain control of your career. Autonomy that is seriously lacking. Most importantly, make sure you're paid a legal wage and that they don't take any money that doesn't belong to them. Does that sound like something your coworkers may want? A labor union with the ability to address the US Department of Labor regarding the exotic dance industry. That's an advantage that blindsided most club owners. They think it's all BS.

 A: They gotta learn what Google is for. I Googled you and all sorts of stories and links come up. Even a pic of you and the union link. Your story came up on a few websites. It's why I wanted to talk; especially after you asked for us to tell our experience if we want. I don't feel comfortable usually discussing the black and white inequality with people. I was surprised by this. But I'm thankful to know there's people who care and real legal help available. To have the lawyer you referred me to is crazy! All of it is making my head spin. It's like the stripper fairy came out and just knowing they have strong allies out there makes me feel better. I am still reading and learning but I feel like even the big clubs violate every law there is since they know we won't know. Now we know and that changes everything.

5) How so? All legal issues aside, how does it change everything?

 A: Because it gives me hope. If all these rights exist for all employees I feel like they hire us knowing we won't understand what our rights are. I already know I'm one of thousands of black women hired to make them seem like they aren't racist.

6) Do you feel they hire you because you're statistically the least likely to speak out, sue or they know you're less likely to be able to get far? Oppressing the already oppressed? Without holding back, tell me how that makes you feel on a fundamental human basis.

 A: It wasn't until my first "black girl club" that I started  to pay attention more. It was the one and only club I was ever at where only black girls made money. The owner started trying to pimp us out. He threatened one girl and made her take a guy into VIP once. I was done after that. Once again it felt like he chose the least likely to argue. He had a friend with more money than I will ever see. He wanted me. It was literally this guys one stop shop. He threatened me with all sorts shit until I gave in. Then I wanted to walk out and the manager said that his friend expects me there at a specific time on a specific day every week. I guess making about $10,000 a month off 4 days of "work". He started getting weird. Said he'd pay me not to dance. I am his and he'll give me more to be his sex slave. He was so obsessed I got a restraining order. No money was ever worth the shit it does to my head. I felt like I had to do it or he would hurt me. He was stalking me. It was bad.

7) Did you ever report the guy? 

 A: I think you already know. If there weren't witnesses the last time I probably wouldn't have gotten anyone to listen. It's like they already hate the color of my skin so they don't care if we end up dead in a ditch. It's not safe for me and others in this industry. I don't believe anything will change. 

8) No? You think my story and work changed nothing? It changed a lot of problems. It just needed to be written in a newspaper and not on social media. The latter is actually quite ineffective, contrary to what everyone thinks. How does the industry work for you vs your white counterparts? What are some more major race related inequalities? I won't be offended by honesty so tell it like it is.

 A: Well the top one is the customers. Most come to see the blond girls with fake boobs. They all look alike in the dark. It depends on the location but why is the same basic look better than someone more exotic? It makes me mad to see girls who barely try to work go do their thing in VIP and I gotta work 50 times harder, having guys ask me to go to VIP and say other girls do it. Why don't I. Because that's not me and they are the ones who ruined my job. They ruined our lives because most of us just wanna dance. I will never defend someone making dirty money. I don't understand why nobody ever checks on clubs. It's a statistic that just under 50% of black sex workers are trafficked, so that's 4 out of 10. It won't get better.

9) Why do you say it won't improve in what seems to be a pretty definitive statement, Will you be offended if I give you the actual reasons why you're more easily targeted? 

 A: Well nothing is changing except some states making strippers paid employees. We have always been mislabeled employees, but why they don't ask what we want? It was something in your blog saying it's easier to rip the schedule off the wall, burn all the mandatory tip out sheets  and ridiculously long list of psychotic rules. It makes me laugh every time.. You're one of those people I feel comfortable with very quickly and that is rare with people I actually know or people are rude when they are done using me. But that seems normal to me now. Fake people. We all wear a mask.

10) Agreed. At some point or another. What's your ultimate takeaway from the sex industry? Would you say you came out a better or stronger person?

 A: I'm not sure about *better but I'm definitely stronger for it. Having been a victim of the one crime other sex workers deny is true is definitely weird. Like they can see it happening but still don't believe it. They don't believe their eyes. Why it took til some virus and BLM for the millionth time pisses me off. Really? Now they care? It's too late! Even if it wasn't, nobody wanna keep suing clubs that pay you and keep doing their shit. 

11) Did you ever consider that not settling might be the answer? There are thousands of these same lawsuits in court records that are settled out of court, and therefore never see the light of day. All I did was change the narrative and took control. You have to stand firm on your stance not to settle for less than you're owed for being violated. It's about taking all that control back. Your autonomy. You can't fold when you get tired. It's a fight. A battle worth winning for more than a slap in the face.

 A: Wow. I never thought about it like that. Change the narrative. So I write my own story by living it first. {Me: Exactly.} I will never let that asshole insult me again! If settling means my safety. My body. My soul. It's all only worth less than they took from me then he can take the stand! Settle? He has a fight coming! Now that I know, I'm taking my whole life back! Thank you!"

Me: Don't thank me. I didn't write the laws. They say, "don't shoot the messenger", and I say don't thank the messenger; the neutral 3rd party. This was all you. Thank you for your time. You're brave and beautiful. I wish you all the best in life! 


 ***All BLM blogs are part of a series of interviews, testimonials and small statements. I've been given permission by all parties to print any recorded or previously recorded statements and interviews***






Comments

  1. I am mixed race, black and white. I look racially ambiguous. I would like to share my experience when possible

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Advice for Baby Strippers; if I Can Do It, Anyone Can.

If You're Still in the Industry- Heed the Advice of Retired SWs- Get Your Shit Together!

Really? Let Me Dumb it Down!